Serving homes as far as 60 km (37.3 miles) away, Mutambara Mission Hospital in Zimbabwe is home to a “Waiting Mothers” unit where expecting mothers can come to receive care in the final trimester of their pregnancy.
The Waiting Mothers unit provides a safe, clean space where women can receive prenatal care such as dietary monitoring, prenatal vitamins, childcare counseling, and social support from doctors, nurses, midwives, and other expecting mothers.
Staying at the Waiting Mothers unit ensures that these women can have a safe hospital birth rather than giving birth alone in homes or traveling a great distance while in labor.
Recently, there were 67 women staying in the 48-bed facility. Many of these 8 to 9 month pregnant women were sleeping on makeshift mattresses between and under other beds. Despite the cramped facilities, the women gave The United Methodist Great Plains delegation a very warm welcome – dancing and singing traditional Shona welcoming songs in a celebration of togetherness. - by Ashley Gish
Share the Love. Save Lives. Donate now
- Answering the cry of our mothers
- Church project matched 'Mary and Martha' movie's theme
- God calls Zimbabwe native to fight malaria
- Grateful U.S. mom fights malaria with zeal
- Mother’s Day campaign helps fight malaria
- Innovating toward a malaria-free Africa
- Witchcraft not the cause of malaria
- The fight against malaria is never easy
- Having malaria can sometimes break apart families
- Educating people about malaria saves lives
- Prayer to end malaria
- Looking for a special card to send your Mom, Grandmother, aunt or special friend for Mother’s Day?
- Mother’s Day Frequently Asked Questions
- Sermon Notes - Behold Thy Mother by N.Neelley Hicks
- Poem - A Mother's Prayer by Mary A. Loberg
- Poem - A Mother’s Love by Helen Steiner Rice
- Download the Mother's Day web graphic to share on your local site
- Mother's Day prayers
- Mission Moments